Thursday Thirteen #67- “My Trip to DC”

tt_header.jpg

1. We arrived on Wednesday around 8:00 after our flight was slightly delayed. ( Once we got our car we checked into our hotel, we were staying at the JW Marriott, which is only about two blocks from the White House. Here was our view from our room:

view.jpg

view2.jpg

2. My aunt had recommended the restaurant at the Hotel Washington to me and it was just around the corner from where we were staying. It is on top of the hotel and is an open patio with a beautiful view of DC. Seeing all the lighted buildings was beautiful, plus the food was pretty good!

hotelwashington.jpg

3. After our meal we took a walk over to the White House. You know, just to see if George and Laura were in. mrgreen

whnite.jpg

4. Day two we got up early and headed out to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum. If you ever visit DC, make this a must see! There is an exhibit in there that has stuck with me since I saw it, and I think it always will. It was called “Shoes” and I wish I could have taken a picture of it. But a photo could not have the impact that the exhibit does. How anyone could say that the Holocaust didn’t happen is outrageous!! You do leave there with a different prospective of discrimination.

holocaust.jpg
I noticed after I got home and was looking at my photos how this one had the shadows of a bird. Pretty cool, huh?

5. As we were walking through the National Mall, there was this truck…I called it a Gypsy truck. It was on display for the upcoming Folklife Festival.

gypsy.jpg

gypsy2.jpg

6. When we left the museum, we headed over to Arlington National Cemetery. I knew that this cemetery was big, I just didn’t have a clue how big.

arlington.jpg
Notice that all the headstones are lined up, it is to look like soldiers in formation.

We saw John F. Kennedy’s grave site, along with Jacqueline’s. I have always thought Jacqueline was an icon of class. It was an honor to pay our respect.

jfk.jpgjfk.jpg

7. We then went to the grave of the Unknown Soldier and watched the ceremony of the changing of the guard. This is one of the most moving things I have seen. The guards who are honored to guard the grave are amazing and so dedicated. It made me proud to watch this ceremony.

guard.jpg
Guard on duty. He paces 21 steps, pauses 21 seconds, turns for 21 seconds, faces forward for 21 seconds, and does it all over again. It was amazing to watch.

guards.jpg
Changing of the guard.

8. We headed back to the hotel because Big D had to get ready for his big shindig! Did I mention that wives weren’t invited?? -P Though at this point I wasn’t heartbroken, I was exhausted and seeing him get all dressed up made me glad it was him and not me!! mrgreen

dave.jpg
Isn’t he handsome!

Once he left, I ordered room service and kicked my feet up!! It was wonderful! When the guys were finished, about thirty of us went back to Hotel Washington, the place on the roof, and celebrated the F-22′s award!

9. Day three we got up early and had a wonderful breakfast at the hotel then decided to walk over to the White House so I could see it in the daylight.

whme.jpg

10. From there we headed to the memorials.

lincoln.jpg
Lincoln Memorial

washington.jpg
Washington Monument

iwojima.jpg
Iwo Jima Memorial

vietnam.jpg
Vietnam Memorial
There were notes, flags, and mementos tucked into the wall, all very moving. But there was an older woman, a volunteer who was welcoming home soldiers, Vietnam vets. I was standing there when she hugged and kissed a gentleman and gave him a pin, told him welcome home soldier. There were tears in his eyes. There were tears in the eyes of everyone around them.

11. Next stop was our Capital. It was quite impressive! Since it was Saturday, all was quiet. I would love to go there when it is going full force just to see our government in action.

capital.jpg

12. We had some time to kill before we had to get to the airport so we headed to see the National Cathedral. On the way we passed Embassy Row. It was fun trying to figure out the flags….thankfully most had a sign on the front of them!! embarrassed The National Cathedral is absolutely gorgeous, a work of art! Very impressive, I just wish we could have seen the inside!

cathedral.jpg

13. Once we got on the plane I took this shot from the air of the Pentagon. My last shot of DC, which is fitting when you think about it seeing why we were there in the first place.

pentagon.jpg

And here at last….the beautiful skies guiding us home.

clouds.jpg

Visit the Thursday Thirteen Hub!

This entry was posted in T13. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Thursday Thirteen #67- “My Trip to DC”

1. autumn says:

I dont do the 13 but I happened on this looking for wordless wed photo. Love the photos of DC..I haven’t been there in about 6 or 7 years, and this makes me want to visit agian. Thanks for sharing.

2. Great blog, very pretty!

Love the pics!

3. Great pics, thanks for sharing!

4. maiylah says:

lovely shots, and thank you so much for showing us! )
    love that shot with the bird’s shadow on it … wonderful timing!

happy T13

5. Gattina says:

What a beautiful stay you had there and so interesting to see the pictures !

6. JHS says:

Looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing those photos.

My list is posted! Government related . . . you’ll laugh!

7. Kimo & Sabi says:

Aren’t there any cats in DC? We did not see any photos of cats – hmmm…

8. Perri Nelson says:

It’s been over 30 years since I was in Washington D.C. I still remember the fabulous sites. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Mine is up at Thirteen Things about The United States Flag, Flag Day (June 14), and Flag Week.

9. mar says:

I have only been in Washington DC once and that was a long time ago. cry
    Enjoyed seeing your pictures, glad you had such a nice time and got to see a lot. cool
    Happy thursday and happy tt!!

10. Looks like you had a really good trip -)

11. EaglesWings says:

wow absolutely stunning! What great photographs! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
    Blessings

12. viamarie says:

Wow!!! I like your new look. I have been away from blogging for almost two months and I really missed it. Now I have to read all your posts and I am starting to get excited.

Thanks for sharing all these photos. Good day!

WOWEE!!! What wonderful pictures. I bow to your prowess with a camera! worship worship
    There is SO much to see in Washington, it would take a LONG time to see it all.
    My T13 is up: 13 Reasons I Can’t Do a T13 This Week!!!

14. what beautiful pictures!! You do so well with photography!!

15. craziequeen says:

What a fantastic set of photos!! You have really captured DC for someone who is never going to see it.

Welcome home, mah sweeeeeet Georgia Rose…….

cq

16. Susan says:

Great TT!! I loved visiting DC several times. As I said, I still dream of doing it with my kids someday. My favorite memorial is the Korean War Memorial….those life sized soldiers in the field are just neat. Glad you had a good time.

:-) Susan

17. Susie says:

Want. To. Go. There. NOW! lol

Thanks for sharing your great pics!

Love those gypsy trucks, how cool!

19. meg says:

Another place I’ve always wanted to visit; you must be living my life -) THe pics are great & I’m really envying the feet up with room service luv thumbsup You all have a great weekend!

20. A wonderful city. I’ve had friends that once lived there. Beautiful photo tour!

21. Wonderfyl dear YR! I feel like I was there with you! Great pictures and you saw so many truly important and moving things. The Holocaust Museum…I would love to see that…I am a member, but have never been. It’s been so very many years since I was in Washington…It wasn’t there the last time I was in DC. Thanks for thos Beautiful tour, my dear. A nd yes, your Husband is Very Very Handsome! luv

22. I got chills just seeing all the magnificent pictures, YR. I’ve heard about the “shoes,” but never seen it. I think I’d cry and cry. The gypsy truck was amazing! Your husband cleans up pretty good, doesn’t he? Sounds like you had a marvelous time. And, I’m with you. Room service and kicking back would actually sound like a lot more fun than going to a shindig!

23. neoauteur says:

The photos are great. Thanks for sharing.