filed in: Humorous

Superstitions & Old Wives Tales

It’s Friday the 13th, are you superstitious? Have you ever crossed the street to avoid a black cat? What about walk around a ladder instead of walking under it? Do you throw salt over your shoulder for luck?

I didn’t think I was superstitious, then I started to write this and thought about the times I “knock on wood” when something hasn’t happened. That counts, doesn’t it? I am sure there are other things I have done that would fall under the catagory of “superstitions” but I don’t freak out if I break a mirror or if I step on a crack, I’ll break my mother’s back.

Here are some Superstitions & Old Wives Tales that I found interesting:

• An acorn at the window will keep lightning out
    • It’s bad luck to put a hat on a bed.
    • If you say good-bye to a friend on a bridge, you will never see each other again.
    • If the first butterfly you see in the year is white, you will have good luck all year.
    • It’s bad luck to leave a house through a different door than the one used to come into it.
    • It is bad luck to cut your fingernails on Friday or Sunday.
    • Pulling out a gray or white hair will cause ten more to grow in its place.
    • Unless you were born in October, it’s unlucky to wear opals.
    • A red ribbon should be placed on a child who has been sick to keep the illness from returning.
    • It’s bad luck to leave shoes upside down.
    • Place a hand in front of your mouth when sneezing. Your soul may escape otherwise.
    • The number of Xs in the palm of your right hand is the number of children you will have.
    • A yawn is a sign that danger is near.

So are you superstitious?

11 Comments on “Superstitions & Old Wives Tales”

January 13th, 2006 at 7:50 pm

Friday the 13th is my birthdate…
      I love it..
      Passing by from the other Michele’s

January 13th, 2006 at 8:41 pm

I will never again accept knives as a gift from someone I care about. (Michele sent me.)

Carmi
      said:
      January 13th, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Nah. When our lovely black cat was still alive, I confidently held him in my arms as we walked under a ladder on Friday the 13th. Nothing bad ever happened – well, except for the time he barfed on the kitchen floor.

January 13th, 2006 at 9:25 pm

Hey I’m an old wive and I’ve never heard of most of the ones you’ve mentioned!

The Cryer
      said:
      January 13th, 2006 at 9:29 pm

I too owned a black cat in the past. No harm there. But is still knock on wood, throw spilled salt over my shoulder and avoid walking under ladders.

But does it work both ways? If you are afraid of the negative, does that mean you seek out the positive too? As in finding a bird’s nest in the Christmas tree (which we did) is good?

Here from Michele’s… )

amanda
      said:
      January 13th, 2006 at 9:44 pm

The comprehensiveness of the list is amazing! Happy Friday the 13th!

(Michele sent me)

margalit
      said:
      January 13th, 2006 at 11:33 pm

I’m so not superstitious, but I can add one to your list. When you says something complementary to someone about a person you love, then you have to say Pooh Pooh Pooh if you’re Jewish. It wards off the evil eye.

Michele sent me.

David
      said:
      January 14th, 2006 at 12:28 am

Yellow, your blog is so beautiful! Nice job fun reading too
      michele agrees

January 14th, 2006 at 2:57 pm

I am not superstitious at all. Never had any luck with it.

Shane
      said:
      January 15th, 2006 at 5:45 pm

Re: “A yawn is a sign that danger is near.”

– I always had a sneaking suspicion that my lawschool classes were dangerous.

January 16th, 2006 at 12:07 pm

The more items I read on your list, the more certain I am that I’m sooooo superstitious.